1. Ma Q, Vaida F, Wong J, et al. Long-term efavirenz use is associated with worse neurocognitive functioning in HIV-infected patients. J Neurovirol 2016;22:170-178.
1. McNeil DG. Muffling an early warning system. New York Times 2017 March 21, 2017;Sect. 4.
2. US House of Representatives proposal preserves Fogarty, boosts NIH by $1B. In: NIH Fogerty International Center [online]. Available at: www.fic.nih.gov/News/GlobalHealthMatters/july-august-2017/Pages/house-ap.... Accessed August 14, 2017.
3. Birbeck GL, Meyer AC, Ogunniyi A. Nervous system disorders across the life course in resource-limited settings. Nature 2015;527:S167-171.
4. Drain PK, Subbaraman R, Heimburger DC. Preserving the Fogarty International Center - Benefits for Americans and the World. N Engl J Med 2017;377:9-11.
5. Green A. US stands to lose as much as Africa if Fogarty closes. University World News 2017 16June17.
6. Karim SSA, Karim QA, Abimiku A, et al. Closing the NIH Fogarty Center threatens US and global health. Lancet 2017;390:451.
Disclaimer: Blogs constitute the opinion of the author and do not reflect the views of the AAN or of Neurology ®
Latest in Global Neurology
- HIV-associated motor neuron disease HERV-K activation and response to antiretroviral therapy In this small case series Bowen and colleagues report activation of human endogenous retrovirus-K (HERV-K) in people with HIV who developed motor neuron disease that subsequently improved with antiretroviral therapy. For neurologists caring for HIV patients in HIV endemic areas, this may be the silver lining on a heavy cloud.
- Chikungunya virus–associated encephalitis A cohort study on La Réunion Island, 2005–2009 In the context of a large outbreak, CHIKV is a significant cause of CNS disease. As with other etiologies, CHIKV-associated encephalitis case distribution by age follows a U-shaped parabolic curve
- Genetics of frontotemporal dementia in Asia: Advancing knowledge through collaboration In Asian populations, FTD appears to be far less common, being the third most common cause of young-onset dementia in some cohorts behind AD and vascular dementia
- Moderate alcohol intake reduces risk of ischemic stroke in Korea A population-based, case-control study to examine a dose-response relationship between alcohol intake and risk of ischemic stroke in Koreans who had different alcoholic beverage type preferences
Neurology mini-sites: New content and re-use of previously published Neurology content
Patricia K. Baskin, MS, Executive Editor and Robert A. Gross, MD, PhD, FAAN, Editor-in-Chief
Near the time this editorial is published, online readers of Neurology® will be able to access 2 new subspecialty satellite or mini-sites, which will carry articles in a particular topic area. These sites, which can be reached by links from the Neurology home page, will focus on health services topics (Innovations in Clinical Neurology) or global neurology (Without Borders). Both topics ... Full Text